Arabic-L:LING:Dialect Classification query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Apr 20 19:48:46 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Dialect Classification query

Date: 20 Apr 2001
From: "Robert R. Ratcliffe" <ratcliff at fs.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject: Dialect Classification query

  Does anyone know of works which apply any of the following
linguistic methodologies to the classification of Arabic dialects as
a whole:

1. lexicostatistics/glottochronology
2. historical linguistic cladistics, based on shared innovations
3. dialect geography.

I am not interested in general opinions (published or unpublished)
about dialect classification. I am not interested in classifications
based on practical and intuitive notions of mutual comprehension or
on known history. And I am also not asking about dialect atlases for
individual countries. I am only asking for specific references to
published works which rigorously try to apply one or more of the
above methods to the classification of the whole Arabic dialect area.

If you know of any such works, I'd be most grateful for your reply.