Arabic-L:PEDA:Arab Academy testimonial

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Apr 30 21:44:22 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Arab Academy testimonial

Date: 30 Apr 2001
From: Ursula Lauper <ulauper at yahoo.com>
Subject: Arab Academy testimonial

I am currently taking a course in the Arab Academy
language program (www.arabacademy.com), so I thought I
would offer my feedback in case anyone is thinking of
trying or recommending the program.

I spent last summer at Middlebury's full immersion
intensive summer Arabic program, and while nothing can
compare with speaking only Arabic for 9 weeks, I have
to say I am genuinely impressed with the quality of
instruction of this online course.  I'm taking an
intro-level class as a review, but I am far from
bored.  There is lots of new vocabulary, and I'm being
introduced to grammar that we never seemed to get to
in other classes (case endings, e.g.).  The
interactive practice programs actually work--they help
drill vocabulary into my head and give clear examples
of how it all gets put together.  And students can
take simultaneous classes in classical, modern
standard, and colloquial.  The best part, however, is
the immediate and thoughtful feedback I get from
professors.  I was expecting this to be a frustrating
and isolating experience, but thanks to the professors
it has been anything but. I also find Arab Academy to
be much more effective (and much less expensive!) than
learning with a tutor.

Hope this helps some of you.