Arabic-L:LIT:Anthology Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Aug 17 21:29:48 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Anthology Response
2) Subject: Anthology Response
3) Subject: Anthology Response
4) Subject: Anthology Response
5) Subject: Anthology Response
6) Subject: Anthology Response
7) Subject: Anthology Response

Date:  17 Aug 2001
From: "David C. Reisman" <david.reisman at yale.edu>
Subject: Anthology Response

Greetings,

I find two anthologies useful for my Intro. to Islam class:

Andrew Rippin and Jan Knappert, Textual sources for the study of
Islam, Chicago, 1986.

Bernard Lewis, Islam, 2 vols., Harper Row/rep. Oxford, 1974.

For the Qur'an and tafsir, there is
Gätje, H. The Qur'an and its Exegesis. (tr. A.T.Welch.) Oxford, 1997.

I have less familiarity with the following:.
Renard, J.  Windows on the House of Islam.  Berkeley, 1998.
Peters, F.E.  A Reader of Classical Islam.  Princeton, 1994.

And, of course, none of these suggestions bear on translations of
modern Arabic literature, by which I mean novels, short stories and
poems, but there are plenty of these to be found.

Regards,
David