Arabic-L:LING:khoda usage response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Dec 6 23:52:52 UTC 2001

1) Subject: khoda usage response

Date:  06 Dec 2001
From: Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at unm.edu>
Subject: khoda usage response

>Do the religious minorities in Iran - Jews, Christians, Baha'is, and
>Zoroastrians - also use this term, aside from formulaic usage such as "khoda
>hafez i shomaa"?

In at least two Persian translations of the Christian New Testament,
'xodaa'  is used to translate 'ho theos' and 'xodaavand' for 'ho
kurios' (where 'allaah' and 'rabb' are used in the Arabic
translations). I am not aware of Jewish usage, but in a Judeo-Persian
edition of the New Testament the same word (kwd') is used. The
Persian word 'parvardegaar' (lit., 'nourisher') is also used as a
name of God.

Cheers,

Dan.