Arabic-L:TRANS:cotton products query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Dec 12 17:52:36 UTC 2001

1) Subject: cotton products query

Date:  12 Dec 2001
From: Srpko Lestaric <srpkole at EUnet.yu>
Subject: cotton products query

A specification of cotton products (mainly underwear) from different
Syrian factories given to me for translation includes a good deal of
words unknown even to native Syrians in Belgrade. My email to a
producer brought no result so far. Could I possibly post a list of
these words on hope to get direct answers from the colleagues? At
last, that is a certain sort of terminology -- a part of, isn't that?

If yes, here are some of those article names:

saaq: saaq wilaadii 35% quTn
3arD qamiiS: 3arD qamiiS rijaalii kum Tawiil
Hafr: tii-shirt rijaalii Hafr 'abyaD
muuns: qamiiS wlaadii kum Tawiil muuns
kaab: kaab b.b. 65% quTn 35% Hariir
al-wursha: Sadaara b.b. al-wursha [or Haraam b.b. al-wursha]
muTabba3: Taqm banaatii shayyaal muTabba3
bruutiil: bruutiil banaatii/nisaa'ii muTarraz
muTayyaf: kiiluut nisaa'ii muTayyaf sukkarii
shar3ii: shuurt niswaanii 'aswad shar3ii
mukallaf: burnuS rijaalii/wilaadii mukallaf
binTaal: binTaal banaatii munaffash

The worst are "saaq", "bruutiil" and "kaab" whatever may they mean.

Regards,
Srpko Lestaric