Arabic-L:LING:Women in Grammar

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Dec 20 18:05:25 UTC 2001

1) Subject: A.F.L. Beeston is a guy; other women in grammar
2) Subject: A.F.L. Beeston is a guy
3) Subject: A.F.L. Beeston obituary URL

Date:  20 Dec 2001
From: Davidson MacLaren <davidson_maclaren at hotmail.com>
Subject:  A.F.L. Beeston is a guy

On seeing his long gray hair some might have momentarily thought
A.F.L. Beeston to be a woman.  However, he was born and remained
until his death in 1995, Alfred Felix Landon Beeston, a man and a
remarkable scholar.

I missed the original message about women authorities on Arabic
grammar and cannot be sure of answering the question author asked by
the author.  To take a stab at it though, I can think of three women
scholars - all American or European - off the top of my head: Janet
C. E. Watson of Durham University in England, one of the few experts
of Yemeni Arabic; Karin Ryding of Georgetown University; and Kristen
Brustad of Emory University and Al-Kitaab textbook fame.

To Professor Michael Schub, who taught me very very briefly, I wish
all the best.

Davidson MacLaren

[moderator's note: the original query asked for "references on the
contributions of women scholars to classical Arabic grammar".  I
suppose it is not clear whether the intention was women in the
classical period, or modern women who study the classical period--Dil]