Arabic-L:LING:Foreigner Talk

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:29:54 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Foreigner Talk
2) Subject: Foreigner Talk
3) Subject: Foreigner Talk

Date: 13 Feb 2001
From: mughazy <mughazy at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Foreigner Talk

I would like to thank Waheed for bringing that issue up. However, I would like
to clarify a couple of points. First, females are referred to with masculine
forms only in contexts that call for using terms of endearment. Second, in
these contexts, males are referred to with female forms such as "Haboobti" and
"katkooti" among many others. In general, the shift of gender marking is a
pragmatic tool for endearment.
Mustafa A. Mughazy