Arabic-L:LIT:Ghoul response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 22 23:23:17 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Ghoul response

Date: 22 Jan 2001
From: Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject: Ghoul response

In Egyptian, there's an 'ummina l-ghuula.  This sounds like a suitable
candidate for corruption to Amina the Ghoul.

The ghuul/ghuula is a monster - too dreadful to even describe - in
children's stories.  I've never seen a picture of this terrible creature.
As kids, we'd tell each other stories about ghuuls.  One fragment I
remember includes as-shaatir Hassan - a hero figure - who comes upon
'ummina l-ghuula and says to her:
"sabaah el-kheir", to which she responds:
"lawla salaamak, kunt-i- 'akaltak 'abl-i- edaamak"
I suppose the moral of this snippet is to teach little children to be polite.
I have no idea of the significance of 'ummina.