Arabic-L:GEN:more Ghouls

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 29 20:45:54 UTC 2001

1) Subject: ghoul
2) Subject: ghoul

Date: 29 Jan 2001
From: "Schub, Michael" <michael.schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject: ghoul

"Go figure:"  Mom and Dad ghoul-ish cannibals??!  Bruno Bettelheim already

did in his *The Uses of Enchantment--The Meaning and Importance of Fairy

Tales.*  NY  1975.

                                           Mike Schub

Date: 29 Jan 2001
From: Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>

Yes you are right Farouk.  I'd forgotten the exact phrasing of this
gem.  But did kids in Tanta really say luula?
Mohammed Eissa and I were discussing significance exhibited by the
politeness of the hero in saying sabaaH il-kheer to 'ummina l-ghuula.
It appears to be a ploy; one used to trick the ghuula, thereby
tempering her fierceness.  This is evocative of ***ghalab-uu-hum
b-il-'adab***.
I don't even remember 'abuuna l-ghuul.  I think that 'ummina was a
much more frightening figure.

(What did Florence Nightingale look like?)

Waheed