Arabic-L:PEDA:Query about Arabic Language Center/Cairo

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jul 5 18:32:29 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Query about Arabic Language Center/Cairo

Date: 07 Jul 2001
From: LJ Moore <ucgaljm at ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Query about Arabic Language Center/Cairo

Dear all,

I do research in Sudan and my lack of Arabic is becoming a liability,
thus I would like to do an immersion course in Arabic. I am thinking
of taking a month-long course in Egyptian colloquial Arabic (which
I'm assuming would be closer to what is spoken in Sudan than
classical Arabic) at the Arabic Language Center in Cairo. My
questions are:

1) Does it make sense for me to do the colloquial Arabic course, or
is it better to do a classical Arabic course first and pick up
colloquial usage later?

2) Can anyone on the list tell me anything about the Arabic Language
Center? Is it generally regarded as a good language school? I'd be
particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has firsthand
experience with it.

Many thanks,

Jane Moore

LJ Moore
Evolutionary Anatomy Unit
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology
University College London
Rockefeller Building, University Street
London WC1E 6JJ
tel: 44 20 7679 6158