Arabic-L:LING:Ongoing Discussions

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Mar 1 23:31:36 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Stop Words
1) Subject: gender

Date: 01 Mar 2001
From: "Schub, Michael" <michael.schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject: Stop Words

   (1)  I wonder if morphemes such as  / HaDrat- / in forms such as
/ HaDratu-ka/ki/kum /  should be considered "stop-morphemes."
     (2)  In the expresssions  /wajhu  l-la:hi / [Q55.27] and
/ maqa:ma  rabbi-hi / [Q55.46], the first word in each is considered
[at least in these particular occurrences] to be a stop-word
/ muqHam / by [the big-time anti-anthropomorphist] al-Zamakhshari.
                               Mike Schub