Arabic-L:GEN: Create PDF Files From QuarkXPress with ArabicXT

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 6 16:24:16 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Create PDF Files From QuarkXPress with ArabicXT

Date: 06 Mar 2001
From: GnhBos at aol.com
Subject: Create PDF Files From QuarkXPress with ArabicXT

I thought the List may benefit from the following:

>   I want to create PDF files from the QXP/ArabicXT files that have both
>   English and Arabic. I have Acrobat 4.0. The problem I'm having is that
>   it doesn't find the fonts so the Arabic isn't Arabic.

Regarding the problem that you are facing with the PDF files, please note
that I tried to create a PDF file using the QuarkXPress/ArabicXT and the
Adobe distiller 4.0 for Macintosh and for Windows, and in both cases,
I didn't face any problem.

1) In order to successfully convert QuarkXPress with ArabicXT pages
into Acrobat PDF files, using the QuarkXPress/ArabicXT and the
Acrobat Distiller 4.0 Windows version, you have to do the following steps:

       a) First thing to do is: in your system you should create a printer
which prints to a file name, following is the procedure that you must
follow in order to create this printer:

         - On your PC, click on Settings in Start and select Printers,
a dialog box will appear, choose the Add Printer item and double
click on it.
         - A dialog box appear saying that this wizard will help you
to install your printer, click Next.
         - Then a dialog box appear asking you to choose how the
printer will be attached to your computer, directly or by Network,
choose the way then click Next.
         - A dialog box appear, from Manufactures and Model choose
the manufactures and model of the printer that you want to add to
your system, then click Next.
         - A dialog box appear asking you to click the port you want
to use with this printer, choose the port "File: Print to a file name"
then click OK.

Now in the Printers folder you have a new printer that will print to
a postscript file. Each time you want to print to a postscript file you
choose this printer.

     b) Launch QuarkXPress, and open your document.
     c) From the File menu, select Print and choose the printer that
you create in step (a), then select Print and save the PS file.
     d) Run Adobe Distiller 4.0, and drag and drop the PS file into the
Distiller window.

Distiller will generate a PDF file.

2) In order to successfully convert QuarkXPress with ArabicXT pages
into Acrobat PDF files, using the QuarkXPress and the ArabicXT
Macintosh version, you have to do the following steps:

    a) From your Apple Menu -> Chooser, select a Postscript printer driver,
such as the LaserWriter 8.
    b) Launch QuarkXPress, and open your document.
    c) From the File menu, select Print.
    d) Click on the Destination button and choose File.
    e) From the General Popup menu, select "Save As File" and make
sure the Inclusion Font setting is set to: " All".
    f)Select Save and give the Postscript job a file name.
This will result in a Postscript file that has the extension.PS

Run Adobe Distiller 4.0 (please make sure to use the Acrobat Distiller
version 4.0), then drag and drop the PS file into the Distiller window.

If all goes well, Distiller will generate a PDF file.

3) If the above doesn't help you to solve your problem, please try to
send me more information about the platform (Windows or Macintosh)
and the QuarkXPress/ArabicXT version that you are using. If you can
also send me a copy of the QuarkXPress document that you are facing
a problem with it so I can test it.

For Arabic Desktop Publishing solutions, please visit:

http://www.arabicsoftware.net
http://www.aramedia.com

Best Regards,

George N. Hallak