Arabic-L:GEN:WinArabic for Mac

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 12 23:21:22 UTC 2001

1) Subject: WinArabic for Mac

Date: 12 Mar 2001
From: John Makhoul <makhoul at bbn.com>
Subject: WinArabic for Mac

WinArabic 1.5 from Mughamrat (www.mughamrat.com) allows one to view
Arabic web pages in Netscape on the Mac (including PC formats).  (It
also allows for email in Arabic, but I did not try those other
features.)  For $39, this was really worth it for me.

BUT BEWARE... Installing WinArabic destroyed my ability to display
Arabic characters in Microsoft Word!  I wrote to Mughamrat and told
them about the problem; they did not respond (not nice).

After much experimentation by one of our sys admins, he found that the
System file had been corrupted.  Reinstalling OS 9 fixed the problem.
The same thing happened on my G4, G3, and Powerbook G3.

So, by installing the Arabic system from OS 9, you get the ability to
use Arabic in Word (but the system remains fundamentally left to
right) and to view Arabic web sites that use Mac Arabic encoding.  By
installing WinArabic, you get the additional ability in Netscape to
view Arabic web sites that use PC Arabic encoding (CP1256).  But be
sure to reinstall OS 9 after you install WinArabic.  Otherwise, you
would not be able to view Arabic in Word.

Another glitch is that installing WinArabic results in some Arabic
characters appearing in menus and other places, but I have learned to
ignore those.

John Makhoul

P.S. Thanks to Jamal Qureshi who suggested that I take a look at the
Mughamrat web site.