Arabic-L:LING:Translation of words for Dictionary query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:24:25 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Translation of words for Dictionary query

Date: 14 Mar 2001
From:  Jan Hoogland <j.hoogland at let.kun.nl>
Subject: Translation of words for Dictionary query

Dear colleagues,

Please take notice of this warning, I will only express it once:
Don't you ever even start considering to compile a dictionary of Modern
Standard Arabic.
Now you can never blame me for not warning you.

'amma bacdu,
Since I am in the unfortunate situation that some 8 years ago I did decide
to make such a dictionary,
and since I've got less then 2 months to finish my database,
I am in desperate need for your help.

There are quite some Dutch words for which we are still searching for a
good Arabic Equivalent.
Knowing that there is an immense quantity of knowlegde among the
subscribers of this list, I will take the liberty of asking your help.
In order to test your willingness I will start with a few words and hope to
receive some useful hints.
Please don't bother using difficult transliteration, your suggestions will
hopefully speak for itself.
(I myself simply use Upper Case for all characters that need some
modification like dot below, stroke above etc, '=hamzah, c=cayn, such a
transliteration should be clear enough).

I will mention the word and some kind of semantic lable as well as a part
of speech indicator.

So if possible please help me on a good Arabic translation of:

word		POS		lable
assemble	verb		computer
compile	verb		computer
epoxy		noun		chemical
overhead wire	noun		train/tram

Just quote and write the ARabic behind the word, Arabic in Windows Code
Page is OK too.
Maybe the list-moderator will prefer if you reply off-list, for me any
reaction will suffice.
I will summarize all reactions if anyone wishes to receive this.

Thanks in advance,
Jan