Arabic-L:LING:Mazen summary

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 28 22:11:39 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Mazen summary

Date: 28 Mar 2001
From: GENEVA MARIE AWAD <Geneva.Adams at Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Mazen summary

Last week I posted a query regarding the consonantal root and the
meaning of the name Mazen. I'd like to thank the following people
for their help: Wail Gueaieb, Elkafi Hassini, Michael Schub, Haseeb
Shehadeh, Mohammad T. Alhawary, and Yaser Al-Onaizan.

I had hoped this would be a simple, straight-forward question;
however, I received more than half a dozen interpretations, nearly
all of them different. Here's a summary of the responses:

1.  root: kh z n
     meaning: derived from the plural "makhaazin," meaning a storehouse

2.  root: m z n
     meaning:  ants' eggs

3.  root: w z n
     meaning: weight or balance

4.  root: m z n
     meaning: to rush in seeking one's need, to go on one's way, or to
     cover a stretch of land by walking non-stop.

5.  root: m z n
     meaning: one who rushes to request help (perhaps related to # 4)

6.  derived from muzn, meaning rain clouds (or is it white clouds?)

7.  Mazen is a sub-tribe of the Tamiim

8.  al-maazin means one with a bright face

I am puzzled by all the different interpretations! I would love to
hear any more thoughts/suggestions. I'm especially interested in
hearing from anyone whose name is Mazen.

Many thanks,

Geneva Awad