Arabic-L:GEN:DOS based text editor query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon May 7 14:39:32 UTC 2001

1) Subject: DOS based text editor query

Date: 07 May 2001
From: Max Gunther <max at csm.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: DOS based text editor query

Hello,

I'm looking for a DOS based text editor that supports extended ASCII
characters for Arabic. It doesn't have to be shareware, but it must run
in DOS. Unfortunately, for the specialized purposes of what I'm trying,
only DOS will do. I need this because the obscure program that I'm
using, you write the source code in normal ASCII characters, and then
what you want to actually be displayed to the user must also be in ASCII
or extended ASCII, so specialized external fonts don't work, and I need
the user text to be displayed in Arabic script. I know that several
versions of this exist for Unix, but I haven't seen any for DOS. Any
suggestions anyone has would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Max Gunther
Computer Survey Methods
University of California at Berkeley