Arabic-L:TRANS:tarbiya fanniyya query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri May 25 14:44:27 UTC 2001

1) Subject: tarbiya fanniyya query

Date: 25 May 2001
From: j murgida <jmurg at star.net>
Subject: tarbiya fanniyya query

Hello Arabic-L, especially Egyptians,

I'm translating an Egyptian secondary school examination certificate in
sciences ['uluum]. One of the subjects is tarbiya fanniyya. I normally would
think it was "art education," but I just want to confirm it, because
everything else the student took is so scientific/technical (math,
statistics, physics, biology, and so on). Could it be "technical education"
in this context?

In another part of the certificate there's an optional test [which this
student didn't take]: qudraat funuun, which I assume *is* art, as in
painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.

Shukran muqaddaman,
Jackie Murgida