Arabic-L:TRANS:allaah

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 7 22:55:05 UTC 2001

1) Subject: allaah
2) Subject: allaah
3) Subject: allaah

Date:  07 Nov 2001
From: "Schub, Michael" <michael.schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject: allaah

Both Faxr  al-Diin  al-Raazii (*MafaatiiH  al=Ghayb*, i, 84)
and Abuu  Hayyaan  al-GharnaTii  (*al-BaHr  al-muHiiT*, i, 15) noted
that the early Muslim authorities (correctly) identified the term
/Allaah/ to be borrowed from Syriac (Western Jewish/Christian
Aramaic).  See:  Jeffrey, Arthur.  *The Foreign Vocabulary of the Koran*
Baroda  1938.

      Best wishes,
                                       Mike Schub