Arabic-L:LING:Written Egyptian Arabic Query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 7 22:48:19 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Written Egyptian Arabic Query

Date:  07 Nov 2001
From: Humphrey Davies <hdavies at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: Written Egyptian Arabic Query

Madiha Doss and I are putting together an anthology of writing in
Egyptian (colloquial) Arabic.  The focus is on works addressed to the
reader rather than the listener; hence traditional poetry (mawwaals,
etc.) and plays are not our main interest.  We have assembled a
reasonable corpus of work, but are sure there must be interesting
items that have escaped us.  Anything that predates Ibn Suuduun, our
earliest author so far, would be especially useful.  We would be
grateful for colleagues' suggestions, and any that are used will be
acknowledged.

Humphrey Davies
c/o School of Humanities (223)
American University in Cairo