Arabic-L:LING:etymology and emphasis responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 14 22:08:20 UTC 2001

1) Subject: :emphasis response
2) Subject: :taawila etymology response
3) Subject: :taawila and emphasis response
4) Subject: :taawila etymology response
5) Subject: :taawila etymology
6) Subject: :emphasis response

Date:  14 Nov 2001
From: khorshid <khorshid at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: : emphasis response

When you speak about emphasis you need to make a distinction between Qur'anic
Arabic and non-Qur'anic Arabic. In Qur'anic Arabic emphatic sounds are always
emphatic, whereas unemphatic sounds are always unemphatic. For example, the
"b" in SabaaH must be pronounced unemphatic, unlike colloquial Arabic dialects
(even Modern Standard Arabic MSA is influenced by the dialects). On the other
hand, the unemphatic sounds in colloquial and MSA will be pronouced emphatic
in the neighborhood of emphatic sounds (followed or preceded by emphatic
sounds). The word SabaaH above is one example.

All four examples you gave are special cases (Allaah, maay, baaba & maama).
Some representative examples are
  on "m" maat vs. al-maaDi
  on "b" ba9d vs. ba9D
  on "l" laa9ib vs. Salaah

I would also like to note that some readers of the Qur'an don't stick to the
rule of pronouncing unemphatic sounds unemphatic in all environments. That is,
you can hear the influence of colloquial Arabic in their pronunciation of
unemphatic sounds as emphatic ones in the neighborhood of emphatic sounds. The
same is true with MSA.

Regards

Ahmad Khorshid
Arabic Language Instructor