Arabic-L:LIT:Arabic writing and printing history queries

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Nov 16 23:50:46 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Arabic writing and printing history queries

Date:  16 Nov 2001
From: Christina Capurro Sand <csand at sharewonder.org>
Subject: Arabic writing and printing history queries

What was the state of the Arabic writing system at the time of Gutenberg?

When was Arabic first typeset?

When was literature first mass produced via typeset Arabic writing?

What problems did the Arabic writing systems have in typesetting?

What was the influence of the Koran vis-a-vis simplifying the Arabic
alphabet with a view towards typesetting?

Can modern day Arabic readers read the Arabic of the Koran?

Sorry to bombard you with questions.  I'm not an Arabic or linguistic
scholar, although I do have a degree in Latin & Greek.

It's just that I've become fascinated by the impact of alphabets on mass
literacy.

Thanks so much for your time!

Christina Capurro Sand
Sharing Wonder