Arabic-L:LING:Understanding bin Laden response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Oct 16 19:57:07 UTC 2001

1) Subject: muhanzar
2) Subject: video of text
3) Subject: Understanding Bin Laden Text
4) Subject: Understanding Bin Laden Text
5) Subject: Where's the Bismallah?
6) Subject: bin or ibn, and other comments

Date:  16 Oct 2001
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: mujanzar

Greetings to all / tahaiya tayyiba wa b3ad..

Re: << mujanzar >>  in the context of the cited news item = tracked combat
vehicles (not tanks) that carry soldiers ==> proper term is

              armored personnel carriers (APC)

Variant term is "infantry figthing vehicle," if the troops being transported
will stay and fire weapons from inside the APC, rather than dismount and
disperse on foot.

APCs customarily operate with tanks for mutual protection.

Arabic media tend to use the generic term "mujanzar" (tracked objects)
instead of the more cumbersome phrase "Haamila meshaat mudarra3a."

Media refer to tanks distinctively as "dabaabaat" or "mudarra3aat" (armored
objects).

HTH. Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke