Arabic-l:TRANS:gratuitous foreignization

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Oct 19 17:48:32 UTC 2001

1) Subject: gratuitous foreignization
2) Subject: gratuitous foreignization
3) Subject: gratuitous foreignization

Date:  19 Oct 2001
From: Jackie Murgida <jmurg at star.net>
Subject: gratuitous foreignization

<<you're email on the English translation of Allah made me think. Could
it be that the reason why the term for "God" has had resistance in
modern translation (esp. of Muslims) because of the sacrality of the
Quranic language?>>

Yes, Vito, I think that's part of it. The belief that the Arabic Koran is
sacred and is untranslatable probably adds to the other reasons to leave
some of the concepts in romanized Arabic, rather than to translate them. I
understand these reasons, such as the fact that the concept of the deity and
the relationship that human beings have to the deity  are different in
Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. However, we normally don't use the Hebrew
words for the deity of Judaism when we discuss Judaism in English, so I
strongly believe we should do the same thing for Islam. Otherwise we
definitely imply stongly that this deity is very foreign and exotic (and
maybe even pagan, to unaware Christians), and we obscure the fact that Islam
is monotheistic, Abrahamic, has prophets and stories in common with
Christianity and Judaisum, and so on.

Of course, I'm not a Muslim, nor am I even a scholar of Classical Arabic.
I'm basing my opinion on what I consider to be sound translation practice of
MSA into English.
~ Jackie