Arabic-L:TRANS:allaah discussion

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Oct 25 16:44:20 UTC 2001

1) Subject: allaah discussion
2) Subject: allaah discussion
3) Subject: allaah discussion
4) Subject: allaah discussion
5) Subject: allaah discussion

Date:  25 Oct 2001
From: Yaser Al-Onaizan <yaser at ISI.EDU>
Subject: allaah discussion

Greetings all,

One thing we should be aware of that the Arabic word "allah" predates islam. In
fact the name of  prophet Mohammed's father is Abdullah. So,  I believe it is
wrong to say that the word "Allah" specifically refers to the god in Islamic
theology.  The word was used by Arabs well before islam.
Additionally, allah is one of the islamic names of god, there are more than 90
others that are used in the Koran. For example, al-rahim (the
merciful). All the
others are almost always translated into English and not transliterated.

This issue is related to the use of alternative spellings for other
islam-related
terms (e.g., Makkah instead of Mecca,  Quraan instead of Koran, etc.).

Regards,
Yaser Al-Onaizan
USC/ISI