Arabic-L:LING:Comparative Dialects query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Oct 29 19:07:31 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Comparative Dialects query (new member intro)

Date:  29 Oct 2001
From: Mathias van den Bossche <m.vdb at free.fr>
Subject: Comparative Dialects query (new member intro)

Dear all,

I am new to this list, and as required in the welcome/confirmation
message, here is a description of why I'm joining.

So, I am Mathias van den Bossche, and I'll write from m.vdb at free.fr.
Although my name is Dutch, I write from (southern) France.
I am no linguist by education (I have a Ph.D in physics),
but I am fascinated by languages. I am somewhat familiar with
urban Palestinian Arabic dialect (contact with native speakers),
and I have been studying classical Arabic for a few years.

What interests me at the very moment is comparative grammar of
arabic dialects. I would also be delighted to learn more about
the impact of pre-arabic languages on today s dialects where
relevant. I am trying to gather information on any Arabic dialect,
but I realized the web is not that rich on the matter at least
until now. If anybody has URLs to suggest, please do !

I would be very happy to gather enough data to publish web
pages with basic comparative data (simple things to begin with,
some phonetic maps ...).

That's all for the introduction

All the best

Mathias van den Bossche