Arabic-L:LING:'come' suppletion (ta?aala) in the dialects query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Sep 4 18:36:45 UTC 2001

1) Subject: come' suppletion (ta?aala) in the dialects query

Date:  04 Sep 2001
From: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at ling.su.se>
Subject: come' suppletion (ta?aala) in the dialects query

Dear All,

I am working on suppletion in verb inflection (as in English go
PRESENT vs went Past) from a typological perspective. One type of
suppletion, shown by the data in my 152 language sample is suppletion
in the imperative as in Egyptian Cairene Arabic (the example is from
Mitchell, T. F. 1962. Colloquial Arabic: The Living Language of Egypt:
Teach Yourself Books. London: The English Universities Press Ltd.)

Perfect	1 singular	   ana geet	come (I came)
Imperative 2 masc singular ta??-aala	come!

I have similar data on imperative suppletion with 'go' in Moroccan
Arabic, and 'come' in Algerian Arabic. I would like to find out how
common, or not common, this phenomenon is in the remaining dialects of
Arabic which is why I am writing to this list. Essentially, I would
like to collect the paradigms of 'come/go' verbs in as many dialects
of Arabic as possible. Any pointers to literature relevant to this
subject would be greatly appreciated as well.

I will post a summary to the list if there is interest.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best wishes,
Ljuba