Arabic-L:PEDA:Enrollment Bump Query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Sep 27 18:04:41 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Enrollment Bump Query

Date:  04 Sep 2001
From: Kirk Belnap <rkb at email.byu.edu>
Subject: Enrollment Bump Query

A journalist from the Associated Press just asked me if we have noticed any
increased enrollment in Arabic (or Middle Eastern Studies...) as a result
of the events of Sept. 11.  We had a couple of students who tried to add
Arabic, but we were already underway and they floundered.  The academic
year starts later for some of you.  This fellow (unfortunately, I've
forgotten his name already) would like to hear from anyone who has noticed
this sort of thing.  The sooner the better.  Also, they'd like to know if
anyone is planning to offer more classes or special classes as a result.
I'd also be curious to know the answers to these questions, given that I've
been tracking enrollment trends for years now.

Best,
Kirk