Arabic-L:LING:li vs. 3ind

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Apr 1 22:57:55 UTC 2002

1) Subject:li vs. 3ind

Date:  04 Feb 2002
From:mughazy <mughazy at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject:li vs. 3ind

I would agree with Waheed that the differences between ‘ma3a’, ‘li’, and
‘3inda’ are very complicated issues, but for now we can apply the
following
generalizations to Standard Arabic.

‘li’ (actually it is just the /l/) expresses inalienable possessions
i.e.,
things that are either inherent or can not be easily dissociated or
disowned
such as body parts, family members, close friends, etc.
use ‘li’ for (I have a brother, a beard, good memories, wishes, a good
friend,
black eyes, etc.)

‘3inda’ expresses alienable possessions, i.e., things that can be easily
dissociated such as artifacts, money, etc.
Use ‘3inda’ for (I have some money, a book, a headache, appointment, a
problem
etc.)

‘ma3a’ expresses temporary possession similar to the English ‘I have it
with
me/on me’.
Use ‘ma3a’ for (I have a dollar, my homework, your phone number etc.)

Things to watch out for
-If you own a book and have it at home use ‘3indi’, but if you have with
you
at speech time, use ‘ma3i'
-The interpretation of possession is subject to pragmatic factors and
intensionality. For example, the choice between ‘li’ or ‘3indi’ in
reference
to a friend, a servant, house, or a spouse (among many other traps) has
logical entailments about how you view your relationship to these. In
other
words, ‘li zawja Amriikiyya’ (I have an American wife) has positive
connotations, but ‘3indi zawja’ implicates a negative possessive
relationship
and presupposes having other wives.
-There are many unclear cases. For example, you say ‘3indi fikra’ (I
have an
idea) and ‘3indi su?aal’ (I have a question), but ‘li ra?i' (I have an
opinion).
-There are many cases where the owned item is undefined in terms of
alienability and inalienabilty. For example, if you have a palm tree in
your
back yard, the choice between ‘3indi’ or ‘li’? is a question that is
open to
research.
-These generalizations do not work for Colloquial Arabic dialects
because they
have different patterns.

Hope this helps

Mustafa A. Mughazy