Arabic-L:LIT:Zakariyya Tamer in Serbian

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 25 20:08:15 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Zakariyya Tamer in Serbian

Date:  01 Apr 2002
From:Srpko Lestaric <srpkole at EUnet.yu>
Subject:Zakariyya Tamer in Serbian

Why, Dil, it seems obvious that I should also inform the folks of
Zakariyya Tamer's last issue here, in Belgrade -- no matter how very few
people can read Serbo-Croat:

li-maadha sakat al-nahr (qiSaS li-l-'aTfaal, dimashq, 1973), appeared
two months ago in my translation as "Zasto je zacutala reka -- price za
decu", Samizdat B92, Beograd, 2002. The book itself is more than
beautifully designed, too.

Not so long ago Tamer's dimashq al-Haraa'iq + al-numuur fi al-yawm
al-3aashir appeared in one book, under the title of "Atentat" (=The
Assassination), VerzalPress, Beograd, 1998, as well as his then newest
collection sa-naDHak, as "Smejacemo se", Paideia, 1998. As for nidaa'
nuuH in particular, it is still under translation and should come out
next year, I hope.

Each of his books I furnished with a longish afterward on the author's
life with a review of the collection itself.

Translation of Tamer's latest book, entitled al-HuSrum, I finished
almost a year before it has even been printed (he sent it to me by
e-mail) but alas! -- I still have to look for a solvent publisher,
though Tamer's works are jolly well accepted here by both readership and
critic.

(Well, al-HuSrum is no more the latest, since teksiir rukab came out in
February.)

Another curious thing, remotely connected with Zakariyya Tamer: in
January 1975 he published, as the editor of al-mawqif al-3arabi, the
story entitled sayyiduna al-xaliifa, written by then young Iraqi writer
Abd al-Sattar Nassir (3abd al-sattaar naaSir) who was arrested only a
few days after the number of the magazine appeared in Damascus and spent
10 months in solitary confinement. In spite of that, this hardheaded
naaSir became probably the best Iraqi short story writer and during the
nineties used to organize literary sessions in Baghdad under the slogan
"The Poems/Stories Inconvenient To Be Published" (al-qaSaa'id/al-qiSaS
ghayr al-SaaliHa li-l-nashr), but he eventually escaped to Jordan in
1999 with his wife Hadiyya Hussein on pretext that they were coming over
to take part in the Belgrade XXXIX International Meeting of Writers.
Knowing pretty well almost the whole Nassir’s opus (over 30 books, many
of the stories repeating more than once, though), I wonder why nobody of
the coleagues attempts to translate his best stories to the main world's
languages. Perhaps the same publishers' problem like here, er? (A choice
collection of Nassir's stories was returned to me the other day after
two years, as the publisher eventually announced bankruptcy.)

Srpko Lestaric,

Belgrade

End of Arabic-L:  01 Apr 2002