Arabic-L:PEDA:Long and Short Vowel responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Aug 8 23:06:10 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Long and Short Vowel response
2) Subject:Long and Short Vowel response
3) Subject:Long and Short Vowel response

Date:  08 Aug 2002
From:suma99 at att.net
Subject:Long and Short Vowel response

Not sure what exactly you mean when you say some
students have trouble differentiating between long and
short vowels.
If you mean they miss-read (mispronounce)words i.e.
reading it with long vowel when it should be short, or
vice-versa; I'd say it's nothing to worry about. The
tongue just still isn't quite used to producing the
Arabic words, so the put stress in wrong places or
misvowelize. It goes away with greater proficiency
develops.