Arabic-L:LING:Needs Structure of Arabic textbook

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Aug 13 22:11:38 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Needs Structure of Arabic textbook

Date:  13 Aug 2002
From:Mohammad <mohd at mail.ukans.edu>
Subject:Needs Structure of Arabic textbook

Dear All,
I'm looking for a good textbook to be used to teach the structure of
Arabic
for speakers of English language. The course is not supposed to teach
them how
to speak Arabic but to help them understand various aspects of its
structure.
I do not know of any book that covers the areas we need. The course
targets
junior and senior students who have had at least one course in
Linguistics,
thus familiar with the basics of phonetics, phonology, morphology,
syntax,
semantics and historical linguistics. The course should generally cover
these
areas about Modern Standard Arabic. I have recently found a valuable
book:
Watson, J. (2002)The Phonology and Morphology of Arabic. Oxford UP.
If you are familiar with any other resources, please let's share.
Your input is highly appreciated.
Mohammad Al-Masri