Arabic-L:LIT:Conversion Story responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Dec 11 21:30:32 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Conversion Story response
2) Subject:Conversion Story response

Date:  11 Dec 2002
From: Franklin D Lewis <flewis at emory.edu>
Subject:Conversion Story response

Dil:
   There is a great example of this in Farid al-Din Attar's _Conference
of the Birds_ (Mantiq al-tayr), which Dick Davis has translated
from Persian to English verse for Penguin Classics.  The Story of
Shaykh Sam`an (pp57-75 in Penguin ed.) is about an old Muslim
man - a Sufi saint - who converts to Christianity for love a girl, but
in the end he returns to Islam and the girl converts to Islam as well.
    Attar's poem dates to the late 12th century of the common era,
and so is quite a bit earlier than Cervantes.
     yrs, Frank