Arabic-L:LING:Etymology of 'mosque' query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Dec 30 22:47:53 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Etymology of 'mosque' query

Date:  30 Dec 2002
From: BearMeiser at aol.com
Subject:Etymology of 'mosque' query

Does anyone know what can be said about and what is known for certain
about the etymology of the word "mosque"? I think it has always been
understood to be from the word "masjid," which is what the OED says.
However, the following e-mail seems to be circulating in some Muslim
circles, telling people that "mosque" has an entirely different origin
from what we have been taught, though I strongly suspect that that is a
mere folk etymology. The e-mail says:

PLS CALL OUR MASJID "MASJID"! Not MOSQUE!!!

As-salaam alaikum all my dear  friends,

Please read this and pass it on to any Muslims, as much as  you can. It
is a vital and important information. Muslims should now refrain from
using the term "Mosque". I was flipping through this book the other day
called "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING ISLAM" (hehe, they
call themselves idiots) and it is filled with fun facts. Some stuff I
didn't even know. One of them concerns the term "mosque." So many of us
think that this is the English translation of masjid. I'm sure none of
us ever wondered how this term came into being when it really had
little in common with how it sounded compared to 'masjid'. (We were
small when we were taught this English word. Our mind then were not
critical & analytical, so didn't dare to ask/challenge our teachers,
right?). Anyway this book pointed out that the term 'mosque' is derived
from the Spanish word for "mosquito." It was termed as such because
during the Crusades, King Ferdinand (or someone.. I forgot exactly whom
it was) said they were gonna go and swat the muslims "like mosquitos".
(Where else can they find Muslims in large number to be swatted if not
in a masjid?). So, they cheekily termed masjid as 'mosque'.
So dear Muslim brothers and sisters, refrain from using this term which
is obviously a disgusting slap in the face to the Ummah. Educate our
brothers and sisters to the history and etymology of this word. And let
us replace it with the word which is MEANT to be used: Masjid! The
Place of Prostration!! Not Mosque: the place to be swatted! If any of
you have doubts about this, then please go look for the book and read
it.