Arabic-L:LING:Ethnic Slurs responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jan 15 19:13:19 UTC 2002

1) Subject: Ethnic Slurs response
2) Subject: Ethnic Slurs response
3) Subject: Ethnic Slurs response
4) Subject: Ethnic Slurs response
5) Subject: Ethnic Slurs response

Date:  15 Jan 2002
From: mughazy <mughazy at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Ethnic Slurs response

[moderator's note: sorry about the weird characters.  I think the
message can still be read.  It has something to do with my program
not being able to decipher things.  Dil]

Dear Dan
In Egyptian Arabic, which I am most familiar with, there are not that many
ethnic slurs probably because the society is more stratified economically than
ethnically. There are of course some ethnic slurs, many of which are historic
and I would argue that some of them lost their use as ethnic derogatory terms
and maintained their use as insults. For example, “nawar” (the singular is
‘nawary’) is, as you mentioned, close in meaning to “white trash”, and it
might be related to the Nuweyr tribes in the Sudan (this is a wild guess).
Whatever its origin is people do not know it except maybe for a couple of
linguists. Other slurs such as ‘a9jami’ lost their use as slurs. I think that
word means ‘mute’ and it was used to refer to foreigners in generals (not just
Persians) because of their limited competence in Arabic, and later it was used
only to mean ‘foreigner’.

As far as I know in Jordanian Arabic the word ‘maSri’ (Egyptian) is used to
mean (of low or unknown descent i.e., bastrad)

I do not know of any publication on Arabic ethnic slurs, but if you are
interested here are some modern Egyptian ones, and I hope I am not offending
any of the list members.

-	‘hindi’ (Indian) and the plural is ‘hunuud’ or ‘hanadwa’.
This word is used
to mean ‘dumb’, ‘melodramatic’ or ‘oaf’. That is because of the Indian movies
that were extremely popular in Egypt in the seventies and eighties.

-	‘taiwaani’ (Taiwanese) which is used to mean ‘fake’ or ‘of
low quality’ as
in the most frequent use “esh-sheikh da da`noh taiwaani’ (This sheikh’s beard
is Taiwanese or made in Taiwan.) meaning he is not well-informed about
religion or he does not follow what he preaches. That is because of the
perception that the abundant made-in-Taiwan electronic products are of low
quality.

-	‘barabra’ which is used to refer to Nubians and not speakers
of Berber even
if the latter is the accurate etymology. It is used only to refer to bad
manner of speaking, namely for interlocutors to speak too fast and at the same
time.

-	‘toska’ which is an Italian woman’s name. It is used to mean
‘prostitute’ or
‘loose woman’ and it was common when many Europeans lived in Alexandria.

I would not list any of the fallaHeen (Delta peasants) or Sa3ayda (Upper
Egyptians) slurs because these are well known.

Some ethnic remarks are used only in frozen expressions or proverb-like
utterances such as
(a)	daakh dookhet el-baljeeki (he got as dizzy as someone from Belgium.)
(b)	el-menoofi el-aSeel zay el-gazma eT-TafSeel ‘a real menoofi (from
Menoofeyya, a district in the Delta) is like a custom made shoe. That
indicates their low status.
(c)	el-menoofi la yaloofi w-law akala laHma el-kitoofi. ‘a
menoofi will never
change even if he ate the shoulder meat of a lamb’ meaning they will always be
of low status. It is interesting that there are case marking vowels even on
the verb for the sake of the rhyme!!!
(d)	naTTa faranasaawi (a French jump) indicating a sexual intercourse. This
phrase lost its insulting use and is used only as a very rude remark about the
beauty of an Egyptian blonde particularly from el-manSoora where the French
soldiers of Napoleon stayed.

I hope these help your work, and I hope nobody is offended.

Mustafa A. Mughazy
Graduate student
Depatment of Linguistics
University of Illinois