Arabic-L:LING: non-concatenative morphology query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jan 15 18:58:11 UTC 2002

1) Subject: non-concatenative morphology query

Date:  15 Jan 2002
From: "L.Boumans" <l.boumans at let.kun.nl>
Subject: non-concatenative morphology query

Dear collegues,

Semitic languages and Arabic in particular are often cited as
textbook examples of non-concatenative morphology, i.e. the
root-and-template system, as opposed to common affixation. I have two
questions regarding this issue:

1. - Are there any other, non-Semitic examples of this type of morphology?
(The closest examples I have been able to find so far are tonal
patterns in certain Bantu lges.)

2. - Are there any theories on the origin and development of the
non-concatenative morphological patterns in Semitic?

I would greatly appreciate any help with finding the right literature.

Regards, Louis Boumans

Louis Boumans
Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen, ATD
Postbus 9103, 6500 HD Nijmegen
Tel. +31-24-361 13 79, fax +31-24-361 21 77
L.Boumans at let.kun.nl