Arabic-L:LING:ethnic slurs

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 21 21:29:18 UTC 2002

1) Subject: ethnic slurs
2) Subject: ethnic slurs
3) Subject: ethnic slurs
4) Subject: ethnic slurs

Date:  21 Jan 2002
From: zouhair maalej <zmaalej at gnet.tn>
Subject: ethnic slurs

Dear colleagues:

There exist a few ethnic slurs in Tunisian Arabic used to refer to Tunisians
(no offense is meant to anybody):

(i) bulRari (Bulgarian): there was a time when Tunisia used to receive
Bulgarians in the national sector (especially as doctors, engineers,
teachers, etc.) as part of international co-operation. They used to be
categorised as second best to the French. Now, some people from poor regions
in Tunisia moving to other regions seeking for jobs are referred to as
bulRariyyiin (Bulgarians), because skill-wise they are deemed less
proficient and skilful than the natives of the region. This is a regionalist
expression to denigrate another region.

(ii) If someone is referred to as "yhudi" (jewish), they are evil, having no
mercy in the heart.

(iii) If someone is referred to as "liibi" (Libyan), they are tasteless and
dumb. For more on this, see:
Muhawi, Ibrahim (1996). “Language Ethnicity and National Identity in the
Tunisian Ethnic Joke.” In: Yasir Suleiman (ed.), _Language and Identity in
the Middle East and North Africa_. Surrey: Curzon Press, 39-59.

(iv) If someone is referred to as "suri" (French and not Syrian), they are
deemed snobbish or stylish.

(v) If something is referred to as "shinwa" (Chinese), it is not
understandable (equivalent to "someone is Greek" in English).

There are two surviving referring expressions (but rare now), which I don't
consider ethnic slurs, to refer to foreigners, because they are hardly ever
in use and have lost most of their derogation: "rumi" (from Rome or Roman)
and "gawri" (perhaps having to do with foreigners that had brought war with
them). "Gawriyya" often denotes a non-Muslim foreigner, especially in
talking about marriage).