Arabic-L:TRANS:Its' Anfushi

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jul 11 15:06:22 UTC 2002

Arabic-L: Thu 11 Jul 2002
reading:

1) Subject:Its' Anfushi
2) Subject:Its' Anfushi
3) Subject:Its' Anfushi
4) Subject:Its' Anfushi
5) Subject:Its' Anfushi
6) Subject:Its' Anfushi

Date:  11 Jul 2002
From:Adrian Gully <A.J.Gully at exeter.ac.uk>
Subject:Its' Anfushi

Without seeing the text I would say that this is almost
certainly a reference to Anfushi (probably not Afnushi in
the text although I could be wrong), an important and very
interesting area of the city of Alexandria, Egypt. The
novel you mention is set in Alexandria if my memory serves
me correctly. I would not wish to incriminate myself
by hazarding a guess at the historical or even the
sociological significance of the reference, but Mahfouz
probably had something very particular in mind.

Adrian Gully, Prof. of Arabic Studies
IAIS, University of Exeter, UK