Arabic-L:Terminology and Composition replies

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jul 11 15:06:18 UTC 2002

Arabic-L: Thu 11 Jul 2002
reading:

1) Subject:Terminology Reply
1) Subject:Composition Reply

Date:  11 Jul 2002
From:Andrew Freeman <andyf at umich.edu>
Subject:Terminology Reply

Hi all,

    There are a couple of Arabic - English and English - Arabic linguistic
terminology dictionaries around.  At least one from "Libairie du Liban"
(is spelling right?).  I don't have the titles or publication dates at my
fingertips, but I do remember that the different dictionaries will not
always agree on a common terminology for many terms.

    I can only conclude that this terminology can vary in the different
Arab states.  I also think that many experts in the Arab world have
learned linguistics using textbooks written in French or English and may
not even use Arabic terminology when talking about linguistics.

    Please correct me if I my knowledge is not right.

cheers,
Andy