Arabic-L:GEN:Advanced Islam texts query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jul 15 19:30:19 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Advanced Islam texts query

Date:  15 Jul 2002
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu
Subject:Advanced Islam texts query

[I tried posting this to Arabic-Info, but they are apparently on
vacation, and I'm being pressured to come up with an answer.  Can anyone
help?]

Our university has decided to beef up it's offerings on Islam.  We have
a beginning course in the Religion department, and courses in Islamic
History, and Islamic Humanities, Islamic Art (and Middle East Geography
and Political Science).  We are looking to add an advanced upper
division course in Modern Islam that would hopefully cover the various
manifestations of Islam in the modern world, everything from Islamic
banking, to the various fundamentalist movements, to the way it is
practiced in various countries, to Islam in the West.  We are looking
for one or more textbooks that would be appropriate for such a course.
The assumption is that the students would have had one or more beginning
courses and would have read an introductory level book that dealt with
Islam from the time of Muhammad.  Does anyone have any suggestions of
more advanced or targetted books that might fill our need?
Thanks.
Dil Parkinson
<dil at byu.edu>