Arabic-L:LING:Vocalic Passive response

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jul 15 19:30:31 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Vocalic Passive response

Date:  15 Jul 2002
From:Elizabeth Bergman <embergman at earthlink.net>
Subject:Vocalic Passive response

Urban Sudanese (Omdurman) Arabic has a vocalic or ablaut passive.  It is
not
productive, being in use for a closed list of some ten verbs only.  My
notes
are not with me but I can send you the list if you like.  As I recall,
all of
the verbs have to do with injury of some kind (death, destruction by
fire,
animal bites).  A first-language speaker of the variety tells me that the
ablaut passive of Omdurman Arabic is not used, as classical Arabic
grammars
describe it, when the actor is unknown or concealed.  Rather, it implies
that
the patient or grammatical subject of the passive verb is an injured
victim.
Regards,
Elizabeth