Arabic-L:LING:Needs native informants

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jul 18 22:08:42 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Needs native informants

Date:  18 Jul 2002
From:Reiko Vermeulen <r.vermeulen at ucl.ac.uk> [reposted from LINGUIST]
Subject:Needs native informants

Dear Linguists,

I am studying a construction in Modern Standard Arabic, which is
usually, but not always, treated as left-dislocation (Doron & Heycock
1999, Fassi-Fehri 1993, Mohammad 1999).  Examples are given below.

(1)hind-un   yuqa:bilu-ha  -ulla:b-u
    Hind-nom  meet(3m)-her  the-students(m)-nom
    'Hind, the students are meeting her.'

(2)xaalid-un   ra?aa  sadiiq-u-hu     saalim-an
    Khalid-nom  saw    friend-nom-his  Salim-acc
    'Khalid, his friend saw Salim.'

My particular interest lies in the occurrence of the nominative case
particle un on various constituents and the positions in which these
nominative phrases may appear.  In order to carry out this research, I
need some native speakers of Arabic to help me with some data.  It
would involve occasional judgement and translation queries by e-mail.
If you are willing/able to help, please contact me at the above e-mail
address.

Best regards,
Reiko Vermeulen
University College London, UK