Arabic-L:GEN:Doesn't buy fonts restrictions or moderation

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 19 20:18:32 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Doesn't buy fonts restrictions or moderation

Date:  19 Jun 2002
From:Gregg Reynolds <greynolds at greynolds.com>
Subject:Doesn't buy fonts restrictions or moderation

> Making a copy of Times New Roman or any other font, renaming it and
> making modifications without the permission of the font vendor is
> expressly prohibited by copyright and other laws.

I'm not a lawyer, but this strikes me as obviously untrue.  I think
copyright laws only forbid you to sell such copies modified or not.  If
you want to make such copies and modifications for your own use you're
free to do so, so long as you've purchased the original.  As to whether
or not that includes using such derived fonts to put actual ink on paper
(e.g. publish a book) I'm not so sure, but I'll bet it's allowed, since
typefaces are not protected by copyright, only the font programs that
generate the inking instructions (which is what "font" means for
computers).  And another thing, why on earth is this list censored, er,
moderated?  I don't see how such practice adds any value whatsoever.  On
the contrary.

-gregg