Arabic-L:GEN:Levantine books responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 26 23:02:29 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Levnatine books response
2) Subject:Levnatine books response

Date:  26 Jun 2002
From:Srpko Lestaric <srpkole at EUnet.yu>
Subject:Levantine books response

Dear Bushra,

There must be lots of such books. Try, first of all, a masterpiece of a
folkloristic effort:

'ibraahiim muhawwi & shariif kanaa3ina: quul yaa Tayr... nuSuuS wa
diraasa fi al-Hikaaya al-sha3biyya al-filasTiiniyya, Tab3a 3arabiyya
munaqqaHa; mu'assasa al-diraasaat al-filasTiiniyya 2001 (Institute For
Palestine Studies, E-mail: ipsbrt at cyberia.net.lb). The book was first
issued as an English translation entitled "Speak, Bird, Speak Again":
Palestinian Arab Folktales, Ibrahim Muhawi and Sharif Kanaana.
University of California Press, 1989.

Another one from bilaad ash-shaam that comes to mind this moment would
be also a superb compilation (35 genuine folk tales in Jerusalem
vernacular) and a successful sample too how to transcribe al-3aammiyya
by the Arabic letters:

Modern Arabic Tales, by Enno Littmann, PH. D., volume I, Arabic text, E.
J. Brill, Leyden 1905 (Part VI of The Publications of an American
Archaeological Expedition to Syria in 1899-1900 - Under The Patronage of
V. Everit Macy, Clarence M. Hyde, B. Talbot B. Hyde and I. N. Phelps
Stokes).

As for how to write dialects in Arabic script -- well, I dare say the
best way is to do that as simple as possible, for the relationship
between different aspects of the Arabic spoken dialects and the system
of, say, classical Arabic script is somewhat complicated. One must at
any rate know that very dialect to read correctly what you put down on
paper.

You can perhaps try to discuss the matter with Mr. Muhawi, who is pretty
competent -- he teaches translatology and the Arabic literature at
University of Edinburgh:  <Ibrahim.Muhawi at ed.ac.uk>.

Best regards,
Srpko Lestaric