Arabic-L:GEN:Arabic HTML Package query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 26 23:02:35 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Arabic HTML Package query

Date:  26 Jun 2002
From:Martha Schulte-Nafeh <marthas at u.arizona.edu>
Subject:Arabic HTML Package query

Greetings from the desert in Tucson

I am about to embark on a project to produce an Arabic class web page on
which I want to have both English and Arabic. Back in April there was a
request to this list about software tools available for such a project.
Reviewing that discussion it seems that the following are available:
(with
contributors names in parentheses)

1. NasherNet by Sakhr (mentioned by Paul Roochnik)
2. FrontPage 2002 (Stephen Franke, Jamal Qureshi)
3. Creating Arabic in Word 2000, exporting it as HTML and then building
the
website with Macromedia's HomeSite (Jan M. Zenker)

NasherNet is probably an excellent software but I would not be able to
get
any support for it on my campus so I steer away from it (also, it is
quite
expensive I believe). I was thinking of using FrontPage 2002,
particularly
because that software has a built in feature that allows you to create
online questionnaires easily and this is one of the features I want on my
site. However, a number of people have indicated to me that FrontPage is
limiting in the long run, and is somewhat "buggy" (although easier to
learn
initially) and so I am now thinking of going with something more like
option
3 - except using Macromedia's Dreamweaver, which apparently incorporated
HomeSite, and supports Unicode so should be able to handle Arabic and
English on the same page. The fact that the software has a somewhat
higher
learning curve than FrontPage 2002 should not be a problem as I have a
small
amount of grant money to pay someone else to actually develop this page
for
me. I am just involving myself in the tools selection phase and then will
step back from the project, other than to tell the developer what I want
on
the site.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using Dreamweaver
do Arabic and English web pages? Also, if anyone has additional
information
regarding any of the above tools or others that I might consider, I would
like to hear about them.

Thanks for your input,

Peace,
Martha