Arabic-L:PEDA:Country variations in Standard Arabic Query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Mar 8 23:54:40 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Country variations in Standard Arabic Query

Date:  08 Feb 2002
From:hind sorour <hind_emi at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:Country variations in Standard Arabic Query

Dear mail-subscribers,

I work in an institution recruiting Arabic teachers.
Whenever somebody from the Middle East applies his
application is accepted and if the one applying is
from other countries that the M.E. his application is
not directly accepted. When I asked about the reason I
was told that their Arabic is not as good as in the
M.E.
Being myself from the M.E.I did not know that there is
discrimination between different Arabs when applying
for teaching Arabic.
My question is the following:
1: As I cannot believe in the reasons for this
discrimination, are there any studies that deal with
comparing Standard Arabic in different Arab
countries?--I read once about a study, by an American
woman linguist, comparing standard Arabic in Egypt and
in Lebanon, substantial differences were found.
2: Then I question the legacy of people correcting
papers or translations of people from North Africa or
the Gulf States by people from the Middle East without
an interrator from the student's country particulary
if they hold the view that people from other countries
than the M.E speak and write a different Arabic.
I hope I get some feedbacks to my enquiry.
Yours sincerly,
Hind S. Farhat