Arabic-L:PEDA:Summary of Poem Recommendations

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 12 00:13:04 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Summary of Poem Recommendations

Date:  11 Mar 2002
From:Martha Schulte-Nafeh <marthas at u.arizona.edu>
Subject:Summary of Poem Recommendations

Thanks to Kristen Brustad, Kirk Belnap, Ernest McCarus, Waheed Samy and
Samira
Farwaneh for responses to my request for suggestions of poems that
students
could recite in the Southern Arizona Language Fair. The event was held
Saturday,
March 3rd and out of 10 students, we received 8 "outstanding"
commendations.
More importantly, I think it was a very motivating experience for the
students.
I was a little concerned that it would be too challenging for them as
they
are only first year, second semester students but they rose to the
challenge!

The poems they ended up reciting were:

?ummi and ?ana yusuf, ya ?abi by Mahmoud Darwish

Sawtaan by Gibran Khalil Gibran (from which lyrics of Fairouz song
?a9tinii
innaaya wa-ghanni come)

?aTTalaasim by ?iilyaa ?abu maaDi (also in song by Abdu-lHaliim HaafiZ
?lastu
?adrii?)

A few of the students also chose poems from "Arabian Love Poems" by Nizar
Kabbani (published by Three Continents Press, Colorado)

A couple students also chose to memorize and recite parts of the Quran.

Wa shukran lakum ya zumalaa?i al-?a9izaa?
Peace,

Martha

If anyone would like to get more info on the nature of this annual
language
fair there's a link to their website:

http://www.coh.arizona.edu/pal/main.htm

Martha Schulte-Nafeh