Arabic-L:LING:inshalla

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 25 16:59:03 UTC 2002

1) Subject:inshalla

Date:  25 Mar 2002
From:Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at unm.edu>
Subject:inshalla

enshA'allAh

That makes sense -- since what I am assuming is the relatively high
token frequency in predictions, statements involving epistemic modality,
etc. have bleached some of the godliness out of the phrase. The
phonological reduction to "enshAlA" is a further indication of this.
Orthographically, the phrase can get re-analyzed to look more like
"God's essay" than "God willing." with the nuun and the shiin joining.

After all, Anglophone pagans, atheists, etc. say "Goodbye" (and perhaps
even "hallelujah!") without feeling like they've slipped into
Judeo-Christian piety.

I had posted some material on xodA vs. allAh in Persian texts of the
Christian New Testament, but I haven't seen any Jewish data.

Cheers,

Dan.

End of Arabic-L:  25 Mar 2002