Arabic-L:LING:Transliteration of e-chat responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed May 1 20:09:02 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Transliteration of e-chat response
2) Subject:Transliteration of e-chat response
3) Subject:Transliteration of e-chat response

Date:  01 May 2002
From:Joost Kremers <j.kremers at let.kun.nl>
Subject:Transliteration of e-chat response

I am not sure if the term "standard" would really apply here. I have
seen Egyptians use the Roman alphabet a few times to communicate in
Arabic over the web or via e-mail. Being Egyptians, they wrote
Egyptian Arabic rather than Standard Arabic, and the transliteration
was defective. For example, long vowels were generally not
distinguished from short ones, both ha' and Ha' were transcribed with
the letter `h' (similarly for siin and SaaD and other
non-emphatic/emphatic pairs), `ayn was not normally indicated, etc.

The system is typically developed by and for native speakers, and
obviously serves a purpose to them. The defective nature is not really
a problem for them, because they can easily reconstruct the
distinctions that are missing. But because of this defective nature,
it is unlikely it would be really useful to non-native speakers, and
it would certainly not be suitable for use in a scientific context.

 From a (socio)linguistic point of view, it is a very interesting
phenomenon, of course.

--
Joost Kremers