Arabic-L:PEDA:Translation Course response

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Nov 1 23:25:17 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Translation Course response

Date:  01 Nov 2002
From: "gwitty at earthlink.net" <gwitty at earthlink.net>
Subject:Translation Course response

Hi Dil and Jackie

as you may have heard by now, Roger Allen offers a seminar in literary
translation here at Penn, and has been for probably 20 years.  It is a
combination of criticism and practicum...one week we'd
compare/criticize 2
or 3 published translations of the same work, the next we'd all turn in
translations of one piece he'd chosen (poetry, prose, ancient, modern,
etc.) and compare our translations of it...(can be humbling at times)
We
all have to do a translation project for the course...many of us have
turned that into entries for the AATA translation contest.  I think we
also
read some stuff on translation theory (I can't remember it was so long
ago
for me)

Roger usually offers it once every 2 years or so, so all of us studying
Arabic/Islamic studies at Penn end up taking it at one point.  So it's
regularly offered if once every 2 years counts as regular...

You can contact him at rallen at ccat.sas.upenn.edu if you'd like more
info.
I'm sure he'd be happy to share his syllabus.

Hope this helps
Gordon