Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic CAI response

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Oct 1 19:59:03 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Arabic CAI response

Date:  01 Oct  2002
From:Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject:Arabic CAI response

Greetings.

You might do some web searches  and navigate in the UAE University
(located in Al-Ain, Abu Dhabi) and Zayed University. I think they both
use the "Zayed" program for Arabic CAI (UAE U developed and used
"Zayed" in the early 1990s).

Zayed is an impressive diagnostic and teaching tool, used mostly for
Emiratis who have been admitted for higher education at national or
foreign universities.

The Zayed program has helped detect, diagnose and assess many
Arabic-deficient Emirati students. An entity at UAE U. called the
University General Requirements Unit (UGRU) conducts year-long
remediation / refresher program in Arabic, ESL, mathematics, and
classroom use of computers. After completing that year at UGRU,
students then enter their university academic programs.

You might contact Dr. Ahmed Taher Hassanein in the UGRU's Arabic
Language Program (ALP) for details about Zayed.

If you find him there or perhaps at Zayed U., please convey my
greetings and regards to Dr. Ahmed Taher. He was very gracious and most
helpful to the success of the special course in Gulf Arabic that his
ALP staff developed and presented to my group of American students in
1995.

You might also search the website for the Higher Colleges of Technology
(HCT) system in UAE and query about their possible use of CAI among the
system's many campuses in the emirates. The HCT also conducts an
impressive program for community outreach and adult education.

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from San Pedro (Los Angeles Harbor Area).

Stephen H. Franke